- Garlic-15(even size)
- Tomato-2 (small size)
- Cumin seeds -1/2 teaspoon
- Sambar powder-1 and 1/2 heaped teaspoon
- Tamarind- size of a small lemon
- Oil-1 tablespoon
For seasoning: Mustard, Urad dal, Cumin seeds, Curry leaves.
- Soak the tamarind in hot water for 10 -15 minutes and extract juice.
- Cut 1 onion and two tomatoes into large pieces.
- Heat oil in pan and add mustard.
- When the mustard starts spluttering, add the urad dal and cumin seeds, and the curry leaves.
- Add onions and garlic.
- Fry till it become glassy and then add the tomatoes.
- Add little water and allow it to cook with the lid closed.
- Grind the remaining 1 onion and cumin seeds into a fine paste.
- When the onions and garlics are half cooked add the paste and sambar powder.
- Add enough water and allow it cook well.
- When the garlic is cooked well enough, add the tamarind juice and allow it to boil for few more minutes.
- Allow it to boil till a thick consistency is reached.
- Suits well with plain rice, curd rice, dosa and idli.