- Ridge guard-1
- Large Onion-1
- Turmeric powder-1/4 spoon
- Masala/Sambar powder(or Chilli powder)-1/2 spoon
- Asafoetida-1/4 spoon
- Toor dhal-50 g
- Coconut(grated)-2 tablespoons
- Cumin seeds(jeera)-1 spoon
Mustard, Cumin seeds, Red chillies, Curry leaves
- Wash the toor dhal and soak it in water for 10 minutes.
- Peel off the skin of ridge guard and kohlrabi and make into pieces.
- Cut kohl rabi into smaller pieces than that of ridge guard as it takes longer time to be cooked.
- Grind the onion , coconut,and jeera into a paste.
- Now add the soaked dhal, cut pieces of ridge guard, kohl rabi in required amount of water.
- Add garlic,asafoetida,turmeric powder, masala/chilli powder, grinded paste to the it and cook in a pressure cooker.
- Allow it for one or two whistles according to the cooker type.
- Finally heat oil in a pan and add mustards. When it start to splutter, just add one red chilli (for flavour),cumin seeds and the curry leaves.
- Mix it with the cooked kootu with required amount of salt.
- Serve it with plain rice or chappathi.