Here is one such simple side dish with the plaintain flower.
- Vazhaipoo(Plaintain flower)- 1 small size
- Curd-2 tablespoon
- Red chilli-2 or 3
- Mustard leaves-1 teaspoon
- Urad dal -1 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds-1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves-1 teaspoon
- Grated coconut - 3 tablespoon
- oil -2 tablespoon
- Remove the petals of the flower and take only the florets inside.
- Remove the stamen (stick like portion) and peel out the sheath like thing from each floret.
- Now wash it in plain water and cut it into fine pieces.
- Soak the cut florets in water with curd added to it.
- After an hour just cook it in the same curd water with enough salt.
- Do not overcook the florets.
- Heat oil in another pan and add mustard to it.
- When it splutters add cumin seeds, urad dal, curry leaves and then the red chillies.
- When the red chillies slightly turn colour, just add the cooked florets after draining the excess curd water.
- Switch off the flame after few seconds (when the poriyal becomes dry enough) and mix the grated coconut with the poriyal.
- Serve it with any kind of rice.