It is the one most common chutney prepared with all kind of idlis, dosas, and with pongal. It tastes better when made with fresh coconut than the ready made dried grated coconut.
- Coconut- half a coconut
- Roasted gram( pottukadalai-3 tablespoon
- Green chillies/ Red chillies-2 or 3(according to the taste needed)
- Ginger- 1/2 inch (optional)
- Garlic- 2 or 3 (optional)
- Oil for seasoning
- For seasoning: Mustard, Cumin seeds, Urad dal, small onions(3), Curry leaves.
- Grind the coconut, roasted gram,red chillies, ginger and garlic into a thick fine paste.
- Add little water and required amount of salt.
- Heat oil in pan and add the mustard seeds, urad dal and the cumin seeds.
- When it splutters add the curry leaves and then the finely chopped onions.
- Fry it till the onions become roasted.
- Just add the seasonings to the chutney and serve it.