- Basmathi Rice-300 gms
- Moong dal( Pasiparuppu)-100 gms
- Water- 2 and 1/2 times that of the combined amount of rice and moong dal.Use same measuring cups.
- Ghee/ Butter-50 gms
- Cumin seeds (jeera)-2 tablespoons
- Pepper-1 tablespoon
- Cashew-6 or 7
- Curry leaves -1 tablespoon
- Wash the Basmathi rice and Moong dal and cook it together in a pressure cooker.
- The rice needs a little more water than usual.
- Heat small amount of ghee or butter in pan.
- Fry the cashews in ghee till golden brown and keep it aside.
- Make half of the pepper and cumin seeds as coarse powder.
- Heat the remaining ghee and add curry leaves,pepper-cumin powder and the remaining cumin seeds and pepper.
- When it splutters, add it with the cooked pongal and mix it.
- Garnish it with cashews.
- Pongal- Sambar- Coconut Chutney is the perfect combination.Can be served with one of the either.