- Coriander leaves - 1 handful as available in the shops
- Coconut (grated)-3 tablespoon
- Urad dal-1 teaspoon
- Coriander seeds-1 tablespoon
- Tamarind- a small piece (or 1 tablespoon of thick paste)
- Red chilli-2 or 3
- Asafoetida- a pinch
- Oil-2 teaspoon for seasoning
- For seasoning:Mustard, Urad dal, Cumin seeds, Curry leaves.
- Heat very little oil in a pan and add urad dal to it and red chillies.
- When it changes to golden brown, add coriander seeds and fry it.
- Add tamarind and asafoetida.
- Finally add cut coriander leaves and switch off the flame.
- Fry in the same heat for few seconds and add the grated coconut.
- After allowing it to cool,grind it into course paste with required amount of salt.
- Fry the seasoning items in the oil and add it to the chutney.
- Tastes good with idli, dosa.
When the proportion of cumin seeds or the coconut is more it gives a different taste.
Thus it can be done in three different ways.